While driving on the road, you can never predict when you might become involved in a car accident. Every time you get out there on the road, there’s a chance you could possibly become involved in a wreck. However, as long as you’re prepared in advance when it comes to handling a car accident should it occur, you increase your chances of experiencing a positive outcome.
Steps to take after an accident occurs
- Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is injured, seek medical attention by calling 911.
- If you’re not in a safe area, get to safety. For instance, if there is a fire or other imminent danger nearby, leave the area but don’t move your vehicle. You won’t be accused of fleeing the scene of an accident as long as you don’t drive your car away in an attempt to get to safety.
- Call the police and wait for them to arrive on the scene. The officer will make a preliminary determination of who is at fault for the accident and possibly issue one or both of you a citation.
- Contact an attorney, especially if you’re injured. The attorney may even be able to come to visit you at the hospital, if necessary, and if medical treatment is needed.
- Report the accident to your insurance company
How an attorney can help you after a car wreck
An attorney can handle your insurance company for you and ensure you receive every cent you’re entitled to. The attorney can also prove that your injuries were sustained due to the other driver’s negligence. Furthermore, an attorney can assist you with filing a lawsuit, if necessary, as well as negotiate a fair settlement.
Aleman Law Firm P.C. is an experienced attorney with a specialty in personal injury law and can represent you should you become involved in an accident. Aleman Law Group also has Spanish-speaking attorneys for your convenience.